- The Inactivate Tool provides you with single-screen functionality to inactivate individuals or companies that no longer participate in your church.
- The tool updates many areas of an individual's record at one time:
- Changes the Contact Status on the Contact record.
- Adds an End Date to the Participant record.
- Optionally changes the Participant Type on the Participant record.
- Optionally allows for the user to add/update a note on the Participant record.
- Optionally unsubscribes from Publications.
- Adds an End Date to current Group Participant records.
- Cancels future Event Participant records.
- Closes open Response records.
- Cancels Donor envelopes.
- Discontinues Donor pledges, and
- Removes all Security Roles from the User record.
- The tool can be used to inactivate one or multiple records at a time.
- Use the tool with care, and only inactivate records you're certain should be. There is no way to automatically undo the changes made with this tool; undoing any changes must be done manually by referencing the Audit Logs of each affected record.
- Upon launching the tool, drop down options can be changed, but will default to:
- New Contact Status: Inactive.
- Unsubscribe Publications: True.
- Participant / Group End Date: Current Date.
- If there is an error in inactivating certain Contacts in your selection, you have the option to save the records that were not able to be inactivated as a new selection.
- SPoCs can grant user access to the tool via the Security Roles.
- Launch the tool by either:
- Go to Contacts > open desired Contact record > Tools > Inactivate Tool, OR
- Go to Contacts > select desired records > Tools > Inactivate Tool, OR
- Go to Participants > open desired Participant record > Tools > Inactivate Tool, OR
- Go to Participants > select desired records > Tools > Inactivate Tool.
- Choose the desired options:
- Indicate new Contact Status.
- If desired, indicate new Participant Type.
- Indicate whether the individual(s) should be unsubscribed from Publications.
- Indicate the desired date for the individual(s) Participant End Date and Group End Date.
- If desired, indicate Notes for their Participant record (e.g., reason they were inactivated). This note will be appended to the end of any existing Notes on the Participant record.
- Click Save.
- Close the tool.
Inactivating a Household
There is no way to automatically inactivate an entire Household; rather, you must ensure each Household member is included in your selection and then go through the normal inactivation process. To do so, you can either:
- Search for each Household member on the Contacts or Participants page > inactivate the records as instructed above, OR
- Open the appropriate Household record > select the Household members on the Primary Family sub-page > click Xfer > choose the Contacts page > inactivate the records as instructed above.
Reversing the Inactivation Process
If a record was inactivated and shouldn't have been, reference the Audit Log to update the following areas:
- On the Contact record:
- Change the Contact Status to desired setting (e.g., Active).
- Update status of any Publications they were incorrectly unsubscribed from.
- On the Participant record:
- Change the Participant Type to the desired setting.
- Remove the Participant End Date.
- Remove or update any info added to the Notes section during inactivation.
- Update incorrectly canceled event registrations.
- Update incorrectly end-dated Groups.
- Update incorrectly closed Responses.
- On the Donor record:
- Update envelopes.
- Re-activate Pledges.
- On the User record:
- Re-add Security Roles (if the person had MinistryPlatform access).
0:29 - Records updated by the tool
1:45 - Launching the tool
2:18 - Working within the tool
2:51 - Reviewing the updated records
Last Modified: 9/19/2019
Did this article help?
× Thank You for the Feedback