Contacts that are Companies
- Every Contact record in MinistryPlatform is either designated as an Individual or a Company. The main reason companies are added to the Platform is for tracking donations made by a company.
- Company records don't have a gender, marital status, first name, nickname or other individual-specific fields. These fields are hidden when a Company is selected as the record type.
- Company records can and should have a Household record, as this stores their address and home phone. However, the Household Name is entirely redundant for a company.
- Companies may be combined using the Combine Contacts Tool.
- There is no overriding reason to "clean up" or remove Companies from MinistryPlatform. There is at least one good reason to keep them: they probably have historical donations associated with their Donor records. If you find there are some Companies in your database that need to be removed, use the Combine Contacts Tool to combine them into the *Unassigned Contact record. If you are not confident in your use of this tool, consult with your SPoC.
- You can also inactivate the Contact records of companies that have not given and have no other activity. To do so, set the Contact Status to "Inactive" on the Contact record. See Q4 on the Contacts FAQ page for more information.
Creating Company Records
You can create Company records via the Add a Company Tool. To edit a Company record, open the record on the Contacts page and click Edit.
The Company Name of a DBA ("Doing Business As") Contact record should be the same as what is printed on the donation; e.g., "Smith Consulting". The address record can be edited so that "Attn: John Smith" is found in Address Line 1 and the physical street address is listed on Address Line 2.
Finding Company Records
- Contacts page: Change your view to All Records or Current Companies for Company records to be returned in the search results. The default view - All Individuals - does not return Company records.
- Participants page: Company records should never appear on the Participants page (as Companies should not have Participant records) and so do not return in search results.
- Donation-related pages/applications: The Donors page of the Platform shows Company records in the default view, so Companies automatically return in the search results. Additionally, the Batch Manager Tool returns Companies in the search results.
- Applications that deal only with people: Applications like Check-In do not return Company records in search results.
Linking Companies with Contacts
If a Contact owns a Company, you can go to the individual's Contact record and create a Business Owner Of relationship on the Relationships sub-page.
As an alternate option, you could put the Company inside the Household of the person who owns the Company so long as the Company and the individual share the same address. If you do so, make sure the Statement Type of the Company's Donor record is set to Individual.
Linking Company Donations to the Donor who Directed the Donation
If a Company gives a Donation, you can apply soft credit to that Donation Distribution and thus link the Donation Distribution to the Donor record of the individual who owns the Company or directed the 3rd party to make the gift. For example, "Christian Community Foundation" may make many Donations on behalf of many Donors. The Christian Community Foundation record should exist only once. The Soft Credit link ensures a record exists that links each Donation to the Donor who initiated it. Donations only appear on the statement for Christian Community Foundation, but various MinistryPlatform reports exist for internal use that optionally includes soft credit donations.
If a Company gives a Donation that is intended to meet part of a Pledge made by an individual, it is possible to distribute that Donation to the Pledge of the other Donor. This 3rd Party Pledge gift diminishes the balance of the Pledge, but it only appears on the contribution statement of the Company.
Companies and Portal Accounts
Companies can have Portal User accounts for managing their contact information and online giving just like an Individual contact would. Companies should not have Security Roles in MinistryPlatform.