Working With Messages
Messages are an incredibly powerful yet simple aspect of MinistryPlatform. Working with Messages in MinistryPlatform is as easy as working with emails in other programs you currently use. However, MinistryPlatform messages are connected to a database in use by hundreds and even thousands of users. Because ministry is collaborative, a history of all Messages sent to any contact in MinistryPlatform is preserved.
- Messages are related to emails, but Messages are not emails themselves. They are stored in MinistryPlatform and may be used to send email.
- When a Contact has an email address on file, an emailed copy of the Message is delivered via email to that Contact’s email address.
- When a Contact replies to that email, the reply goes to the email address of the MinistryPlatform user who sent the message. Replies are not stored in MinistryPlatform.
- If a Message cannot be sent to a Contact because no email address is on file for them, this is recorded and viewable in Communications > Messages. If the Message was generated automatically by a Process, a user is assigned a task to find an alternate way to deliver that Message.
- Messages are not created directly but are created by using the New Message Tool.
Selecting Message Recipients
- Navigate to any Page
- Select Tools > New Message Tool.
- Search for and select desired Recipients or launch the pick-list to create or retrieve a Selection.
For more advanced examples, see: Selecting Recipients
In addition to being sent manually, Messages can be sent automatically by the following MinistryPlatform functions.
- Processes: A Message can be sent as a result of a Process Step. For more information on Processes and Process Steps, see Working with Processes and Process Step - Send an Email.
- Notifications: Notifications are the automated Messages MinistryPlatform sends each day. For more information, see Notifications.
Video Topics: Messages
1:42 - Sending Messages from the Contacts Page
3:03 - Ways to View Messages Sent
4:38 - Sending Messages from a Sub Page Selection
5:28 - Sending Messages from a Main Page
7:12 - Security Role Email Quotas