Creating an Event
Creating An Event
- Go to the Events page.
- Click New and complete the Event fields (detailed below)
- Click Save
Optional: Click Submit (to trigger the Approval Process, if this is Active in your platform).
- Event Title: name of the Event.
- Event Type: the category of the Event; a SPoC can control the options in Lookup Values > Event Types.
- Congregation: the Congregation the Event is for or hosted by.
- Location: the location where the Event is hosted.
- Meeting Instructions and Description: information about the Event so potential participants know what to expect. Please note that neither of these fields supports HTML. You're discouraged from adding formatting to text in these fields via HTML code, as it may interfere with other system functionalities.
- Program: the ongoing ministry effort of which this Event is a part.
- Primary Contact: the main contact of the Event.
- Participants Expected: maximum number of participants expected before the Registration Active field is automatically set to No; this number is calculated based on registered Participants (and excludes canceled Participants). See Special Considerations below.
- Minutes for Setup: the number of minutes needed for setup before the Event start time (e.g., 15 for 15 minutes).
- Event Start Date: the date and time the Event starts.
- Event End Date: the date and time the Event ends.
- Minutes for Cleanup: the number of minutes needed for cleanup after the Event end time (e.g., 15 for 15 minutes).
- Canceled: if Yes, ***Cancelled*** automatically appends to the Event Title and any room, equipment or service reservations are automatically canceled.
- Approved: a read-only field that is updated upon submission/approval.
Public Website Settings (Fields)
- Visibility Level: determines where the Event is visible:
- 1-Private: does not show on the Portal and is intended to help you find events in the Platform that are for internal (private to the church) use (e.g., when using views, filters, reports). Please note that each customer internally defines what 'Private' means to them.
- 2-Staff Only: does not show on the Portal* and is intended to help you find events in the Platform that are for Staff Only (e.g., when using views, filters, reports). Although most customers would use this when only Staff members are allowed in an event, it is a 'churchy decision' as to how you choose to use it.
- *Note: while an event with a visibility level of 2 is not publicly visible on the portal, a participant in this event with any Participation Status value will see this event on the My Events page when logged into the portal.
- 3-Staff & Church: does show on the Portal with or without logging in.
- 4-Public: does show on the Portal with or without logging in. This will allow the Event, once it is approved, to appear on the church's "Event Calendar" Portal Page. (the difference between 3-Staff & Church and 4-Public would be determined by however you might want to use them internally for views, filters, or reports - your choice!).
- 5-Hidden: URL Required: does show on the Portal only to individuals who have the appropriate URL. To create the URL, append your event registration URL with the Event ID# of the specific event the registration is for (to get the URL, the Event ID# would be added to the end of your usual event signup link, such as https://my.samplechurch.org/portal/event_signup.aspx?id=####).
- Featured on Calendar: When this value is set to "Yes" the Event will be listed when selecting "Show only Featured Events." Various 3rd party applications may make use of this field in other ways.
- Online Registration Product: if registration is occurring for this Event, the Product controls the fee amount.
- Registration Form: If you would like additional questions answered when someone is registering for the event, include a custom form here.
- Registration Start: the date registration should open.
- Registration End: the date registration should close.
- Registration Active: must be Yes for registration to be open. If you want registration to close, you can manually set this field to False. Note that other items may close registration before you manually set this field to False, such as either the Participants Expected field value or the Registration End date being met. These items will not update the Registration Active field to "False", but will prevent registrations from being submitted on the Portal.
- Register into Series: If Yes, any registrants in an Event are added to all subsequent, future Events in this Event series automatically by the nightly Data Quality routine. For example, you have a 3-day Marriage Retreat on Dec 2,3,4. In November, Sally registers for the Dec 3 Event. The routine will automatically register Sally for the Events on Dec 3,4. Although the Event on Dec 2 is in the future it is not subsequent to the Dec 3 Event, therefore Sally will not be registered by the routine. A link on your website must be updated to a future event in order for new event registrants to be added to future events.
- External Registration URL: Add a complete URL to this field if you wish to use a 3rd party form to take registrations for this event (a Product does not need to be chosen for events with an External Registration URL, and will be ignored if present). The URL in this field replaces what would normally happen when the Sign-Up button is clicked on the Event Registration for this Event.
- Web Approved: a read-only field that is updated upon submission/approval.
Check-in Information (Fields) - Related to Check-In Suite
- Allow Check-In: if Yes, this Event is eligible for the Check-In system.
- Search Results: a multi-tiered option which enables/disables and shows/hides Guests.
- Allow Guests (Show Everyone) - Registered, Expected, and Guests can check-in. All members of all families visible.
- Allow Expected Only (Show Everyone) - Registered and Expected can check-in. All members of all families visible.
- Allow Expected Only (Show Expected Only) - Registered and Expected can check-in. Only family members who are Registered or Expected appear. Families with no Registered or Expected members are hidden.
- Early Check-In Period: the number of minutes before the Event start time that participants can check-in. If left blank, the default is 60 minutes.
- Late Check-In Period: the number of minutes after the Event start time that participants can check-in. If left blank, the default is 30 minutes.
Notification Settings (Fields)
- Registrant Message — use this field to set an email to send to a registrant no matter how a person is added to an event. As long as they have a status of 02 Registered, they will get an email with this message if one is applied to this field.
- Days out to Remind — use this a field where a user can put the number of days before the Event Start Date when a reminder will be sent. As long as the Event Participant has a status of 02 Registered, they will get an email if a value is applied to this field. If this field is blank, no reminder will be sent. The system counts each night prior to the event as one of the nights. So if you want it to send the day before, add a 1 to the days out to remind.
- Optional Reminder Message — allows the user to overwrite the default reminder message with an event-specific reminder message.
- Send to Heads — will send the message to the registrant as well a two Heads of Household in the Registrant's Household if they have a different email address than the registrant. The messages will be automatically adjusted to say Parent of.
Notification Settings (Example)
The following is an example notification:
- Event Start Date 6/11/YYYY 09:00
- Days_Out_to_Remind 1
This will run on 6/10/YYYY 12:00 AM or 5:00 AM (**Depending on when your nightly routines are scheduled as this is different for every customer)
So if you want it to run on 6/7/YYYY at midnight, you would set the Days Out = 4
Other Event Information (Fields)
- On Connection Card Tool: determines whether the Event appears on the Connection Card Tool.
Accounting Information (Fields)
- On Donation Batch Tool: Set this value to Yes for mission trips, memorials, commemoratives, and other events to which individuals may wish to earmark funds over a limited period of time. The actual dates of the event do not impact when and whether this event appears in the Batch Manager Tool.
- Project Code: the project code that registration fees are charged to.
- Force Login: if Yes, the registrants are required to log into the Portal before completing registration.
This field only looks at the number of participants on the Event who have a Participation Status of Registered (not Interested or Canceled). Registration is closed when this number is reached, but this does not prevent registrations in progress from moving forward. For example, a parent can be filling out registrations for multiple children and then submit them at one time, or two different people could be registering at the same time. This can result in total registrations exceeding this expected number. The system does not automatically reopen an Event if Registrations are canceled or removed from the Event (a Platform user must manually set Registration Active back to Yes).
When the trigger changes the Registration Active from True to False as a result, the change will be recorded in the Audit Log.
Events that span multiple days should be set up with a separate Event record for each day or even each session. This enables more accurate attendance, as well as the ability to leverage of facility management and Check-In functionality. This also makes it clear on your Portal Event Calendar the Start and End times for each day's Events.
If you create these Events as a recurring Event series using Copy, you can use the Register into Series feature to register a person into all Events in the series. For example, a weekend conference might be three Events: Friday night, Saturday morning, and Saturday afternoon.
Learn about creating recurring Events.
Alternate Event Creation Methods
- Quick Add > Events
- My Groups > Create a Meeting